Feel called to serve?
Great! Working a retreat is an excellent way to stay connected to the community, give back, serve others, foster your God-given gifts and talents, and allow God to continue to work through you. Each person has something to contribute, and even if we do not feel like we have much to offer, know that God desires to use you to draw others to Himself through the uniqueness with which He created you.
Before you apply, please keep in mind the following:
- Working a TEC retreat is about service. In other words, it is not about us or our own motivations, as well-intentioned as they may be. For instance, while working a retreat may reinvigorate our own faith life, or while we may know someone who is making the retreat, our first priority must always be about those who are making the retreat, which might involve some sacrifice or “dying-to-self” on our part. Not only does this teach us to love as Christ loves, but it allows for them to experience being loved unconditionally as God loves them (which happens to be the goal of the retreat).
- As such, we ask that you be present for the ENTIRE weekend, from setup on Thursday at 6:30PM until about 4:30PM on Sunday (after Mass and cleanup).
- You must be available to attend and be on time for all five team meetings, unless you are traveling from out of town, in which case you only need to attend three team meetings. Meeting dates and times are established by the Spiritual and Lay Directors of the weekend, and are not determined until after Discernment. If your schedule presents any conflicts, please discuss your situation with the Lay Director.
- Anyone who is 18+ years old (or will be by the weekend) is required by the diocese to complete VIRTUS training prior to the third formation meeting. As part of this, fingerprinting and a background check are required at a cost of approximately $35. Along with the letter confirming your placement on the weekend, you will also receive your current status with VIRTUS training, allowing you 5-6 weeks to complete all requirements if you have not done so already.
- There is a $50 team fee that must be paid promptly so that food and supplies may be purchased for the weekend.
- Application submissions must be received before the Discernment deadline (usually the Tuesday following Comeback).
Oftentimes, there are more applications to work than there are positions to fill on a weekend.
Before each retreat, a Discernment Team meets to prayerfully consider the team members and positions for the following retreat. Once the Discernment Process is completed, letters confirming the positions will be sent in a timely fashion.
We are most grateful for your willingness to serve, but ask that you fully consider the complete commitment that serving on this team will entail, and therefore to seriously pray over the obligation you wish to accept before sending in your application.
To see all scheduled dates for upcoming retreats, see the event calendar.
TEC retreats take place at:
St. Leonard Youth Retreat Center
4076 Case Road
Avon, OH 44011
Directions will be included in the confirmation letters.